“Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second.”

Art of Quotation

“Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second.”

― Marc Riboud. French, photographer


872f5c9898363c59bbbbe1b0ae1d4fea

View original post

“It’s not when you press the shutter, but why you press the shutter.”

Art of Quotation

“It’s not when you press the shutter, but why you press the shutter.”

– Mary Ellen Mark, photographer


View original post

In Memory: “I photograph late in the day… so that the subtlest hues surface”

Art of Quotation

“I want to evoke the mystery of color itself.

I photograph late in the day, the time Rembrandt favored for painting, so that the subtlest hues surface.

They are as complex as any person, perhaps more so. It’s that lyricism, that mystery of color itself— that’s my signature.”

— Marie Cosindas, 1923-2017,  photographer, Goodbye in 2017


More

View original post

“It is the treating of the commonplace with the feeling of the sublime that gives to art its true power.”

Art of Quotation

“It is the treating of the commonplace with the feeling of the sublime that gives to art its true power.”

Jean-Francois Millet, French, painter

View original post

” When I decided to be a photographer I didn’t care about catching up with the technology. The more important thing was to…”

Art of Quotation

” When I decided to be a photographer I didn’t care about catching up with the technology. The more important thing was to develop my own voice.”

Hiroyuki Ito, photographer, Japanese


View original post

“Don’t you know you can see the one you love in the water?”

Art of Quotation

“Don’t you know you can see the one you love in the water?”

— Juliette portrayed by actress Dita Parlo, in the French film L’Atalante, 1934. Directed by Jean Vigo. British Film Institute – 50 Greatest Films of all Time, movie quotes


 As newlyweds Juliette tells her husband Jean (actor Jean Dasté) she saw his face in the water before he ever met her.  As the story unfolds and Juliette is lost in the city of Paris, Jean out of desperation dives into the river with the hope of seeing her again.


Throughout the decades L’ Atalante has grown in stature and now many critics and audiences claim L’Atalante to be one of the greatest films in the world and it is a film that is usually compared along the likes of Jean Renoir’s The Rules of the Game, Orson Welles Citizen Kane, Vittoria De Sica’s Bicycle Thieves and…

View original post 142 more words

In Memory: “I honestly believe photography is 75 percent chance and 25 percent skill. In accidents, we…”

Art of Quotation

“I honestly believe photography is 75 percent chance and 25 percent skill. In accidents, we really discover the magic of photography.”

— Stanley Greene, 1949-2017, Goodbye in 2017, photographer, photography, photojournalist


View original post